Monday, July 9, 2007

Over the weekend, I had an interesting experience. My family and I went to my sister's home in Salt Lake City to have a barbecue for the 4th. It was hot--somehwere above 100 degrees. The kids were in the back playing on the trampoline, in the sandbox, and in a small, blow-up pool. My wife asked me to keep an eye on my two-year old. He hadn't changed into his swimsuit, and she didn't want him jumping in fully dressed. Immediately I thought, "I really don't want to spend all afternoon out here in the searing heat." So, for a split second, I was tempted to delegate my fatherly duties of watching my son to my five-year-old daughter, but then my common sense kicked and I realized I would be setting my poor daughter up for failure. She's five, she's with her cousins, and she's having too much fun to be able to babysit her brother. Sure she would have agreed to watch him--she's always looking for opportunities to be a "big girl"--but she's just not ready for that kind of responsibility.

This experience caused me to think of our newer business partners. Without proper training, and experience, for the most part they're just not ready for the responsibility from the get go. When people come into the business, they're naturally excited--this may be the first time they're building something for themself. However, that excitement doesn't mean they have all the skills and knowledge needed to be successful. If we as their sponsor don't provide them the tools they need and the opportunities for personal growth, aren't we setting them up for failure? We need to make sure we're their holding their hand along the way. We've been there. Let's provide them the support we may or may not have received from our uplines. If you'll help your new recruits be successful, you'll experience the success, as well. That's what's so impressive about what we do. If you're focused on your group's success, yours naturally follows.

As always, best of luck!

No comments: